Monday, October 1, 2007

What killed the Crocodile Hunter didn't kill me

On Friday, I had the misfortune of getting stung by a sting ray on the bottom of my foot at Huntington Beach.

I was getting of my surfboard into the sand when I felt something stab me in the foot. It hurt really bad---it was the most painful thing I have experienced. I looked down and saw the stinger projecting from my foot. I pulled it out, and blood started squirting out. It still hurt just as bad. I paddled the rest of the way in and hobbled back to my apartment two blocks away. My roommate drove me to the ER.
The nurses said that I was handling the pain pretty well and not screaming and swearing like most people who get stung. The doctor gave me some antibiotics and a tetanus shot after treating the wound.

As you may know, Steve Irwin, the crocodile hunter was killed by a sting ray. He was stung in the heart and died from loss of blood. Luckily, that didn’t happen to me.


For more information, check out these websites:

http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic556.htm

http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/topics/lh_stingray_city.htm

4 comments:

Alice said...

Glad you're ok Jeff

Angie said...

Addie and I are sorry about your foot but are glad you are coming to see us this weekend. We ca't wait to see your wound in person.

ericareynolds said...

I guess it takes a sting ray injury to get you to actually post something on our blog. My thanks to the sting ray... Seriously though, glad you are okay. Some strange things do happen to you...

Baptiste said...

This is the only reason why I don't leave on the cost. Otherwise, I totally would, you know!
Well, we are so glad you're ok.