Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Cock-a-doodle-rude!

Right after Jacob was born, I was out walking with a friend in the morning and heard a strangely familiar sound coming from one of our neighbors backyards. "Cock-a-doodle-do"! "Was that a Rooster?", we asked each other. We laughed, shrugged it off and keep on walking. Well, since then I've had to listen to "Cock-a-doodle-do" starting at 4:30am everyday. Granted, I have a hard time falling asleep and any little noise starts to grate on my nerves, but I just don't think I should have to listen to "Cock-a-doodle-do" every 2 mins after being up all night feeding my sweet little babe. For months, I have meant to track down exactly which house this insanity was coming from, but haven't. Well, yesterday after a particularly sleepless night...I had had enough. I got out of bed at 5:30am and put on my clothes to take care of this once and for all.
Using my acute sense of hearing..I quickly found the offending home...slightly scaled a fence to confirm the creature was indeed in their backyard and knocked on their door. A very sleepy, confused, man with only a towel clutched around himself answered the door. "That is a Rooster in your backyard," I stated. "Yes" he replied. "I have tried to be patience for months, but it's really, really, annoying and I can't take it anymore. Something needs to be done, throw a tarp over its house or something so it will stop crowing so early!" Man.."Something needs to be done." ( I will just state here that English is most likely this man's second language and that having a Rooster could be a cultural thing.) I thanked him and walked off. After, recounting my outing to Justin (bless him) he made several calls to the city to confirm that our neighborhood is not in fact zoned for farm animals and then one final call to Animal Control. "Cock-a-doodle-doo" was blissfully absent this morning!!! Now if I could just get the kids to sleep through the night.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

I LOOOOVVEE IT! Way to go girl! You need your precious sleep!

ericareynolds said...

That is absolutely hilarious! Thanks for the chuckle. I can see you marching right over there. Good job!

marcie said...

Ha ha, good story!
There used to be a rooster around here too... 5 of them in fact... in my own backyard... -gulp. We bought 5 chicks one year. You can't tell what they are when they're chicks. You just hope you've got some hens in the mix. We didn't. Good thing they're gone now, because with all 5 of them going, I bet you would have been able to hear them from there! :)
By the way, I bet that guy ate the rooster. Did you happen to smell BBQ that night?

Julia Callahan said...

You are so great Hayes!! I don't blame you. We used to have a chicken across the street--but their own dog killed it. The things that wake my kids up during nap is the school bus or loud radio's from cars or homes nearby. People don't realize everyone has a different schedule. :0)